ADAMS COMPANY (THE)
In June 1883, Eugene ADAMS and his brother Herbert purchased an interest in the ROBERTS AND LANGWORTHY IRON WORKS. In 1885 the company's name was changed to the Langworthy and Adams Iron Works reflecting Adams' purchase of Roberts' interest.
Between 1898 and 1907 the company has been remembered for manufacturing with the expert assistance of Fay Oliver FARWELL fifty-two ADAMS-FARWELL AUTOMOBILES of which only one is still known to exist. The company continued to specialize in gear cutting and early in the twentieth century developed and perfected an air-cooled ROTARY ENGINE that proved crucial to the aircraft industry.ICE HARBOR to 8040 Chavenelle Road, the company continued manufacturing precision gears and shafts to customers' specifications. Custom made gears and shafts were sold to original equipment manufacturers of agriculture and construction machinery, oil recovery equipment, pumps, winches, wind turbines and many other industries. The firm manufactured bevel gears, helical gears, spur gears, worms and worm gears, sprockets, and couplings. It also produced a variety of shafts: keyed, pinion, threaded or splined.
The address in the 1948 Dubuque Classified Business Directory through 1985 Dubuque City Directory was 100 E. 4th St.
Adams Company website
Kittle, M. D. "Iron, Cars and Gears: A Quick Look at the History of The Adams Company," Telegraph Herald, September 30, 2004, p. 2. Online: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=ap1dAAAAIBAJ&sjid=zlwNAAAAIBAJ&pg=5149,6473449&dq=adams-farwell+motor&hl=en